Welcome To Historical Places Of Bangladesh
1. Shahid Minar The Shaheed Minar is a national monument in Dhaka, Bangladesh, established to commemorate those killed during the Language Movement demonstrations of 1952.On February 21, 1952, dozens of students and political activists were killed when the Pakistani police force opened fire on Bengali protesters who were demanding equal status to their native tongue, Bangla. The massacre occurred near Dhaka Medical College and Ramna Park in Dhaka. A makeshift monument was erected on February 23 by students of University of Dhaka and other educational institutions, but soon demolished on February 26 by the Pakistani police force.The Language Movement gained momentum and after a long struggle, Bangla was given equal status as Urdu. To commemorate the dead, the Shaheed Minar was designed and built by Hamidur Rahman, a Bangladeshi sculptor. The monument stood until the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971, when it was demolished completely during Operation Searchlight. After Bangladesh gained independence, it was rebuilt .Today, the Shaheed Minar is the centre of cultural activities in Dhaka. Every year, the Language Movement is remembered at the monument.
2. Tajhat is a historical place of Bangladesh, located near Lalbagh, Rangpur. It has a nice Jamidarbari(Palace) which in 2005 was turned into a museum. This museum is about 10 mins drive from Rangpur town, near Lalbagh. The Museum was inaugurated on March 20, 2005, by the Government of Bangladesh Minister for Cultural Affairs, Begum Selima Rahman and Secretary Mr. Mahmudul Masud. Dr. Alain Labrique of the Johns Hopkins University also made some invited remarks. The palace in Tajhat, commonly known as Tajhat Rajbari was built by Maharaja Kumar Gopal Lal Roy in the beginning of the 20th century. He was a descendent of a Hindu khatari who emigrated from Punjab. He was a jeweler by profession. It is believed that from the conspicuous appearance of his Taj or jeweledcrown his estate derived the name of Tajhat. From the name of his estate, the area is known as Tajhat.
3. Ahsan Manzil was the official residential palace and seat of theDhaka Nawab Family. It is situated on the banks of the Buriganga River in Bangladesh. The palace is now a museum. Ahsan Manzil.
4. Lalbagh Fort (also known as "Fort Aurangabad") is an incomplete Mughalpalace fortress at the Buriganga River in the southwestern part of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Construction was commenced in 1678 by Prince Muhammad Azam during his 15-month long vice-royalty ofBengal, but before the work could complete, he was recalled by Aurangzeb. His successor, Shaista Khan, did not complete the work, though he stayed in Dhaka up to 1688. His daughter bibi pari (Lady Fairy) died here in 1684 and this led him to consider the fort to be ominous. Lalbagh For.
5. The National Memorial at Savar is a symbol of the nation's respect for the martyrs of the war of Liberation. It is built with Concrete, but made of blood. IT stands 150 feet tall, but every martyr it stands for stands so much taller. It is an achievement the dimensions of which can be measured but it stands for an achievement which is immeasurable. It stands upright for the millions of martyrs who laid their lives so that we may stand upright, in honour and dignity, amongst the nations of the world. Most prominently visible is the 150 feet tower that stands on a base measuring 130 feet wide. National Memorial
6. The National Museum was established at dhaka in AD 1913.It has been renamed as the National Museum and was shifted to its new building at Shahbag in 1983. It is a four storied building and has forty galleries under four departments, namely, Natural History, History and Classical Art, Ethnography and Decorative Art and Contemporary Art and world Civilization. National Museum
7. It is one of the most majestic public buildings in Bangladesh. The National Parliament complex is located at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar of Dhaka city. The National Parliament Building is an architectural masterpiece for which the nation can be said to be justifiably proud.The decision to construct the National Parliament Complex at Dhaka was originally taken in 1959. Louis I Kahn. one of the greatest architects of the time was initially selected for designing the complex. which would include the National Parliament Building. Hostels for members of parliament. ministers and secretaries. hospitality halls and communally buildings.All linked by roads and walkways and surrounded by attractive gardens and lakes. The main characteristic of the building is its monumentally.The mass of concrete lined with marble strips, the outer wall punctuate by pure geometrical openings and the dominating circular and rectangular concrete masses impart a supreme monumentality to the building quite suited to its noble function. National Parliament
8. Among the many surviving monuments of the Khan Jahan Ali style, undoubtedly the most magnificent and largest brick mosque in Bangladesh is the Shait Gombuj . It is situated in Bagerhat district. For outstanding architectural value. the World Heritage Committee of UNESCO inscribed Bagerhat in the World Heritage list and it got the status of the second World Heritage site in Bangladesh after Paharpur. Out of today's surviving mosques, the Shait Gombuj Mosque is the most magnificent and certainly the largest brick mosque surviving in Bangladesh. Its name, meaning '60 domes', is misleading as in reality, it is roofed over with 77 small domes supported by a forest of slender columns covering a large prayer hall and giving it the appearance of a medieval church crypt. At sunrise when the rays of the sun penetrate the eastern entrances, the interior comes to life. There is little adornment to this building other than the carved stone decoration to the central mihrab at the western end of the prayer hall. The exterior facades, with slightly 'battered' walls, have discernible curving cornices a concession to the local style. Shait Gambuj Mosque.
9. One of the most graceful monuments of the Sultanate period is the Chhota Sona Masjid or Small Golden Mosque at Gaur in Rajshahi. Built by one Wali Muhammad during the reign of Sultan Alauddin Husain Shah (1493-1519), it was originally roofed over with 15 gilded domes including the 3 ChauchaIqa domes in the middle row, from which it derives its curious name. Chhota Sona Masjid
10. It is called the Seat of Lost Dynasties. About 8 km to the west of Comilla town, situated 114 km southeast of Dhaka, lies a range of low hills known as the Mainamati-Lalmai ridge, which was an extensive centre of Buddhist culture. On the slopes or these hills lie scattered a treasure of information about the early Buddhist civilization (7th-12th Century AD.). At Salban in the middle or the ridge, excavations have laid bare a large Buddhist Vihara (monastery) with an imposing central shrine. It has revealed valuable information about the rule of the Chandra and Deva dynasties which Flourished here from the 7th to the 12th century AD. The whole range of hillocks runs for about 18 km and is studded with more than 50 sites. A site museum houses the archaeological finds which include terra cotta plaques, bronze statues and caskets, coins, jewellery, utensils, pottery and votive stupas embossed with Buddhist inscriptions. Mainamati
11. It is the National Mosque of Bangladesh. Its construction began on 1960, and has been going on in phases. Architect T Abdul Hussain Thariani was commissioned to design the mosque complex. The plan included shops, offices, libraries and parking areas within the complex. The design of the mosque reflects the architecture of the period as can be seen from the use of a white and almost cube-form for the main building. A Mosque without a dome over the roof of its main prayer hall must have been a unique experiment. The main building is eight storied and 33 meters high from the ground level. The area of the main prayer hall is 2464 SQ meters with a mezzanine floor of 171 SQ metres at the eastern side. Verandas surround the hall on three of its four sides. The mihrab of the hall is rectangular instead of semi-circular. The Baitul Mukarram mosque is modern in its architectural style. It has found its place in the hearts of the Muslims because of the resemblance of its form to the Holy Kaaba at Makkah. Baitul Mukarram-the National Mosque
12. Sonargaon's importance in the pre-Muslim period is borne out by its ancient name of Suvarnagrama (the golden village), from which it is obvious how the Muslim version of the name is derived,as well as by the existence of Langalbandh and Panchamighat, the two traditional under Ghiyasuddin Bahadur Shah, and after his fall it was the headquarters of the eastern province of Bengal under the Tughlaqs till 1338. Sonargaon emerged as the capital of an independent Sultanate under Fakhruddin Mubarak Shah (1338-1349). In the late nineteenth and early twentieth century Panam Nagar was developed in a part of holy bathing places of the Hindus, in this tract of land on the west bank of the old Brahmaputra.Sonargaon rose to be the seat of an independent ruler medieval Sonargaon. Sonargaon
13. Star mosque, a 19th century establishment, is a very beautiful mosque of the city situated at Armanitola, in the old part of Dhaka City. In faultless Mughal style architecture, it is a five -dome mosque with hundreds of big and small twinkling stars as surface decorations. The stars have been created by setting pieces or chinaware on white cement. Seen from the front and from far it looks as if it were shining above the surface of the earth. The inside or the mosque is even more beautiful than the outside, with a lovely mosaic floor and excellent tiles with many floral patterns set on the walls, all in complete harmony. Star Mosque
14. Paharpur is treated as the Largest Buddhist Seat of Learning of South Asia. It is a small village, 5 km west of Jamalganj in the greater Rajshahi district, where the remains of the most important and the largest known monastery south of the Himalayas has been excavated. This 7th century AD archaeological find covers an area of approximately 11 hectare. The entire establishment, occupying a Quadrangular court, measures more than 300 meters and varies from 3.5 to 4.5 meters in height with an elaborate gateway complex on the north, there are 45 cells on the north and 44 in each of the other three sides, with a total number of 177 rooms. Paharpur .
15. Hossaini dalan Husaini Dalan a Shiite shrine in the old part of the city of DHAKA, attributed to the Mughal Period. It is a common practice among the Shia community to build edifices to commemorate the martyrdom of al-Husain, at the battle of Karbala in Iraq on the tenth day of Muharram 61 AH (10 October 680 AD). The building seems to have been originally erected by one Sayyid Murad during the governorship of SHAH SHUJA, who, although himself a Sunni, was eager to preserve and patronise Shiite institutions. Traditions relate that Sayyid Murad, having seen al-Husain in a vision erecting a tazia khana (house of mourning), was inspired to raise the building, which he named Husaini Dalan. The original building may have been a small structure, expanded to its present form in later times. The EAST INDIA COMPANY repaired it in 1807 and 1810, and a portion of the building was reconstructed after the earthquake of 1897.
16. Inside a green picturesque surrounding of Jahangir Nagar University, the sprawling acres of land holds this beautiful monument dedicated to the language martyrs of 1952. Central Shahid Minar in Jahangir Nagar University
17. It is considered the oldest archaeological site of the county. It is located at a distance of 18 km north or Bogra town on the western bank of the Karatoa river. The spectacular site is an imposing landmark in the area. having a long fortified enclosure. Beyond the fortified area, other ancient ruins fan out within a semicircle of about 8 km radius. Several isolated mounds, the local names of which are Govinda Bhita Temple, Khodia Pathar Mound, Mankalir Kunda , Parsuramer Bedi , Jiyat Kunda etc. surround the fortified city. This 3rd century B.C. archaeological site is still held to be of great sanctity by the Hindus. Every year (mid-April) and once every 12 years (in December) thousands of Hindu devotees join the bathing ceremony on the bank of the Karatoa river. Mahasthangar
18. Second World War warrior’s graveyards are in this Cemetery. There are 755 graves in this graveyard of the great warriors who died d in world war from1939 to 1945 in Chittagong areas. In this well-preserved cemetery at a quiet and picturesque place within the city lie buried in eternal peace over 700 soldiers from British, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, India, Myanmar, East and West Africa, The Netherlands and Japan who laid down their lives on the Myanmar front during the World War II. Every year a number of tourists come here to visit this Cemetery. World War 2 Cemetery
19. This church dates from 1781 and it is still functioning today. Compared to some of the splendid churches elsewhere in the world, this is a rather small, but interesting building crowding on a narrow back street of old Dhaka. But in the Dhaka context it is a very important tranquil haven in the heart of a huge crowded Muslim city. The church supports a small Christian community from several countries that meets every Sunday evening. The Armenians were once at the heart of Bengal’s jute and leather trade but the community has virtually vanished. For much of the rest of the week the door to the compound is looked but there is always someone inside because the caretaker, his family and others live on site. You just need to wait or bang loudly on the door and someone will come to let you in. American Church.
20. A slightly later date the elegant 6-domed mosque (13m x 11m) sq meters of Baba Adam in Rampal near Dhaka was erected by your Malik Kafur during the reign of the last Ilyas Shahi Sultan, Jalauddin Fateh Shah in 1483 AD. It displays the same characteristic features of the period such as the faceted octagonal turrets at 4 corners, the curved cornice. The one facade and 3 mihrabs relieved richly with beautiful terracotta floral and hanging patterns. Mosque Baba Adam.